• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SSH, su, adduser do not work on debian  (Read 3521 times)
hideoushog

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »

Raw installation. I have 2.6.32.8 of the kernelon the SD cqrd of my plug.
I am new to debian but have used fedora/redhat.

Why oh why

1) does 'su' not do anything, presumably related to the fact that
2) adduser does not create a user that can login
3) and SSH does not appear to work

The user is in the /etc/passwd file
I have a valid /home/user/.ssh/authorized_users file

Still, I can only login remotely as root with a password.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »

if ssh does not work, how do you log in remotely?

what is a raw installation? Minimal? Are you sure an sshd is installed and running?

If you login as root, you can run su and nothing (visible) will happen... take a guess why Smiley

it is authorized_keys

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »

I don't run Debian (yet), but wrt /bin/su being broken (and maybe some of the other problems you mention), on an earlier version of the Plug, someone had left the SUID bit unset on the /bin/su command, along with several others.  Perhaps this is the case on the Debian load, too?

hideoushog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »

Just to clarify

Typo, I do have "authorized_keys" file
sshd is running, must be since I can login as root. Port 22.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:57:10 AM »

So you can login as root via ssh using a password. You run adduser and it creates a home directory for your user.
Change the password for the user, try to login as this user with ssh. Add a public key, try login with the public key. Check file permissions of the public key, check logfiles of ssh, run ssh client in verbose mode, run sshd not-detached in verbose mode.

for your su problem. what are you want doing? what is happening? what do you expect to happen?

insufficient data doesn't compute. (or it costs at least tripple consultation fees to figure it out)

hideoushog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »

I don't think the problem is an SSH problem although it manifested as one since I created a user with an associated authorized_keys file but could not get secure SSH access. Delving deeper I think the problem is with the kernel and I have made some comments on the 2.6.32.9 Kernel forum entry.

For now I am going back to an old kernel until this bug is fixed. Maybe somebody could confirm that they are getting similar problems. Surprising this has not been spotted by others ?!

VERSION 2.6.30.1
Cannot SU between accounts (fails password authenticatoon)
Can serial console login as root or as any valid user
Can SSH password login
Can SSH login by PPK authentication.

VERSION 2.6.32.9
Cannot SU between accounts
Can serial console login ONLY as root
Can SSH login only as root with a password
Cannot SSH login as any other user either by password or with PPK authentication

Although not possible to SU between accounts, you can login as root and then "su" to a user. But after that you cannot "su root" or "su" to any other user. su to another user, of course, does not require a passwd, so maybe the problem is more to do with passwords.

alge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

Hi!

I had the same problem - any attempt at logging in with users I've adduser'ed failed. It would actually show the MOTD, and then just exit. The auth.log didn't give any indication of why it logged out.

The same problem affected login, su, ssh, so I doubt any of those were to blame.

I fixed it just now, and I think the only thing I did was to aptitude dist-upgrade, and then reboot. (I've also created the /etc/default/locale file.)

For the record, I'm running 2.6.33-rc2-00003-ge9cfa16.

tmk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »

I have the same problem, just noticed it recently. I think it was working fine for a long time, but it stopped after installing X and doing a bunch of install/remove cycles on various things.

I burned a couple hours trying to figure it out, and didn't get anywhere. PAM doesnt seem to be logging anything crazy (and i did debug on all PAM modules that support it)

sudo just says 'killed'

I'll try the ""aptitude dist-upgrade"" method and see what happens.

-tmk

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: