• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FTDI driver / Linux -- how to keep ttyUSB0 persistent when sheeva is repowered?  (Read 3218 times)
creeble

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »

I know this subject has been beaten to death here, but I can't seem to find this specific answer.

I have no trouble connecting to sheeva with ttyUSB0, but when I need to reboot the plug, I have to pull the cord -- and away goes ttyUSB0!  It often doesn't come back fast enough to catch the next boot.

This is some udev thing, and I don't know how to deal with it.  What I'd like is to manually load the ftdi_sio driver into the kernel (I already do), have a hard /dev entry for ttyUSB0, and have udev ignore this particular device.

Anybody know how to do this, or have another solution?

Failing that, does the sheeva have an internal reset switch so I can keep it powered up while rebooting?

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

The plug has a reset switch.  It is located behind a hole near the mini-USB connector.  I use a straightened twist-tie to actuate mine. Smiley

Mark

creeble

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »

Ouch!

Thanks!

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »

root@mrlinux:~# cat /util/jjosheeva
#!/bin/sh

TTY="`dmesg | tail -1 | awk '{ print substr($11, 1, 6) }'`"
while [ "$TTY" != "ttyUSB" ]; do
  sleep 1
  TTY="`dmesg | tail -1 | awk '{ print substr($11, 1, 6) }'`"
done

TTY="`dmesg | tail -1 | awk '{ print $11 }'`"

exec seyon -modems /dev/$TTY
root@mrlinux:~#

I made an icon on my desktop to link to this script and as soon as I plug in the sheeva, the terminal pops up before you can get to the countdown to stop the boot.  Sometimes my plug comes up as ttyUSB0 or 1 or 2 etc...  This catches them all

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: