• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sheevaplug as dvb-t recorder with mythtv  (Read 8836 times)
insa_hc

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »

Hello everybody,

I've just ordered a sheevaplug+sdhc and now I'm thinking about what could it do apart from usual services (web-mail-file server).
I've already planned to use it as a dlna mediaserver via twonkymedia and now I'm thinking to use it as a dvb-t recorder. In order to do so I need mythtv for the software and a dvb-t usb dongle for the hardware.
And that's the point: which dvb-t dongle shoud I buy? AFAIK the best one shoud be Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1900 witch comes with hardware mpeg2 decoder but I'm not sure I really need it.
In fact dvb-t should be standard mpeg2 transmission and (I'm guessing) it should be possible to save it directly without recompression. If it's possible to do so I could buy a cheaper dvb-t dongle like Hauppauge WinTV-MiniStick HD.

So the question is: is it possible to use a dvb-t dongle without mpeg2 hardware decoder to record dvb-t transmission?

Thank you and bye.
InSa

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »

you actualy don't want to decode the dvb-t stream. This would require reencoding for storing (something the sheevaplug is not powerful enough). And you won't play the files on the sheevaplug, but on a mythtv frontend. The frontend needs to do the decoding.

Google around for sheevaplug and mythtv. There are some stories that it has issues.

insa_hc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

First of all thank you for your reply. Smiley

I've already googled around but results doesn't fit my needs.
I'm going to play the file via dlna through twonkymedia and it should not need decoding.
I'll use mythtv backend only to record dvb-t streams and since it should be a mpeg2 stream it should be "played" just fine through twonkymedia.
So I should not need a mpeg2 hardware decoder because my sheevaplug should not decode anything at all. Am I correct or am I missing something?  Grin

ikrabbe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »

First of all thank you for your reply. Smiley

I've already googled around but results doesn't fit my needs.
I'm going to play the file via dlna through twonkymedia and it should not need decoding.
I'll use mythtv backend only to record dvb-t streams and since it should be a mpeg2 stream it should be "played" just fine through twonkymedia.
So I should not need a mpeg2 hardware decoder because my sheevaplug should not decode anything at all. Am I correct or am I missing something?  Grin

Actually I think you are right.
Anyway, when I find some time in one or two months, and hopefully the new guruPlug is available then I will try that myself as I use mythtv on my linux system anyway and I already have a running cross compiled system here yet.  But currently I'm trying an installation on openmoko.  Should install on a "$NAME"Plug quite easy.

I will report here, when I have some success with these devices.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »

if i remember correctly, the mythtv backend has a pretty decent UPNP/dlna server. So if you run a complete mythtv backend, you can skip twonkymedia.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »

FWIW, I have an HDHomeRun tuner, and I'm using my Plug to store broadcasts for later viewing.  I am not using MythTV, but rather software that came with the HDHomeRun unit, mated with some shellscripts and CRON, to record the programming to a USB drive.  I export the drive contents using NFS and watch the programs remotely on another PC with VLC.  It works quite well.  I can record a show while watching another without problems.  One nice thing about this configuration is that, unlike commercial DVRs, I can save and watch the programming in hi-def.  A full 1080i broadcast takes up about 6 GB/hr.

Since MythTV knows about HDHomeRun tuners, I suspect the Plug will work well in this configuration as a MythTV backend.  Good luck.

paulr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »

insa_hc,

I'd be really interested to hear the results of your Sheevaplug DVB experiment, please post the results whether they're positive or not!

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, you're only asking the plug to move data from the DVB device to the hard drive after all. I guess it's down to whether the software is up to it.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »

Since MythTV knows about HDHomeRun tuners, I suspect the Plug will work well in this configuration as a MythTV backend.  Good luck.
I can confirm that Sheeva + MythTV + HDHR does indeed work well. Smiley

PANiCnz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:39:58 AM »

Any luck with this project? A quick google found the following site where the guy is using a Sheevaplug + USB DVB-T tunner and getstream to stream TV to multiple systems:

http://www.linux-depot.com/?p=projects&s=sheevaplug

Otherwise there doesnt seem to be a lot of other information out there. If the Sheevaplug is just running Linux I can't imagine there is any practical reason why it wouldn't work

swaery
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:22:45 AM »

Well, from what I have heard, there are reportedly some issues with Sheevaplu when used alongside MythTv. This can be particularly seen when trying to decode dvb-t stream. The main reason why this is the case, in my opinion, is that the Sheeva Plug isnít virtually capable enough to do so! Hence, until and unless they come up with something to fix the compatibility issues, this idea remains farfetched!

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »

Well, from what I have heard, there are reportedly some issues with Sheevaplu when used alongside MythTv. This can be particularly seen when trying to decode dvb-t stream. The main reason why this is the case, in my opinion, is that the Sheeva Plug isnít virtually capable enough to do so! Hence, until and unless they come up with something to fix the compatibility issues, this idea remains farfetched!
What issues? I'm using one without issue*, and so is the guy that PANiCnz linked to, so how is this farfetched? What fix is needed?

*Admittedly, I'm using ATSC rather than DVB-T.

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:12 AM »

Roughly off topic as I haven't used mythtv.

I succeded to compile and run HTS TVHeadend together with an USB-SVB-S2 TeVii card on my SheevaPlug (Debian Squeeze) streaming the content over the net to my XBMC (XBMC Live; ASRock ION330).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: