• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trouble writing U-Boot to OpenRD  (Read 7458 times)
RandomJoe

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »

I just got a Sheeva Plug and OpenRD Client, been having fun with them - until this morning!  Roll Eyes

I wanted to update the OpenRD U-Boot, and have been following links to all corners of the net (many pointing back to the "Setting Up OpenOCD Under Linux" Wiki page here) and trying a dizzying array of configurations for openocd without success.  The uboot image is one from a post to the OpenRD mailing list named uboot-3.4.19-openrd.zip.  (I have sent a subscribe request to that list, but haven't heard back yet.)

At this point, I have tried various versions of openocd from 0.1.0 to the current from git.

- 0.1.0 won't recognize the serial connection, I wasn't surprised with that - the OS is only creating a single /dev/ttyUSB connection.  (Ubuntu 9.10)

- the current pull from git had a number of issues - first, it didn't have a version.texi file in docs, created that and it compiled.  Then it didn't have the target/boards, target/target and target/interface "config file" directories.  On a guess, I tried pulling those from the Marvell source tree on CD and now I have the .cfg files in /usr/local/lib/openocd/.

Finally when I run it interactively, it says it doesn't have the appropriate NAND driver, but does run.  Then if I try to flash UBoot, it eventually runs the command 'arm926ejs' and complains that there aren't enough arguments.

- versions 0.2.0 and 0.3.1 had better success (although I again had to use the 'target' directories from the Marvell sources) and the output looked right, except when trying to flash the UBoot and it says :

Error: unknown NAND flash device found, manufacturer id: 0x00 device id: 0x00
probing failed for NAND flash device
Floating point exception

Not sure what to try next...  I'm not finding anything when searching for that particular error.

Possibly relevant info:  I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on an Asus Eee netbook.  Used the libftdi in the repository.  I can connect to the OpenRD and Sheeva just fine via minicom with the same system, and used the Plug Installer 1.0 to update the Sheeva without incident.  (I have it running Debian from SD card, went nicely.)

To attempt the uboot update, I am using the command:
sudo openocd -f /usr/local/lib/openocd/board/openrd.cfg -c init -c openrd_reflash_uboot

Any ideas?
Thanks!

jlinton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »

I had similar problems with the openRD-client board. If you start an interactive session (using one of the versions that gets as far as claiming the NAND manufacturer is 0x0) that RAM locations actually update when you write/read them. The NAND flash section is playing a standard NAND sequence, and it should wake up the NAND and start responding with something other than 0's. I gave up with OCD after messing with it for a few hours but, I suspect that the NAND address in the default config file is wrong.

RandomJoe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »

Hm...  Played with the openocd interactive mode a bit (using version 0.3.1).  I connected right after power up the OpenRD.

Running 'nand info 0' says '#0: not probed' so I tried 'nand probe 0' which gave:

NAND flash access requires halted target (repeated six times)
unknown NAND flash device found, manufacturer id: 0x70 device id: 0x70

So at least it gave me something other than 0x00.

I then ran 'halt' and got:

target state: halted
target halted in ARM state due to debug-request, current mode: IRQ
cpsr: 0x20000092 pc: 0xffff0020
MMU: enabled, D-Cache: enabled, I-Cache: enabled

But then 'nand probe 0' once again gives:

unknown NAND device found, manufacturer id: 0x00 device id: 0x00

Is there anything in the interactive menus that would tell me the correct NAND address? 

Using the UBoot 'nand info' command does give me the response I was looking for from openocd:
'Device 0: NAND 512MB 3,3V 8-bit, sector size 128 KB'
But I don't see anything that would give me an address...  Did try the 'flinfo' command, but it didn't do anything...

RandomJoe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

Wow...

I finally decided to try doing the upgrade via USB and through UBoot as I did with the Sheeva.  I was a bit worried about the switch settings for the commands, so doing a bit of searching I found a page just for OpenRD but he said he couldn't get USB to work.  He used tftp, which conveniently requires no switch settings.

So I set up a tftp server, put the binary there, and gave it a shot.

Well, that was easy...  30 seconds later, I'm done!  *sigh*  Dunno why I didn't think to try that sooner!  On the more entertaining aspects...

jlinton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »

You can see my previous post at http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ee324a737c9ea3286bc01fef84fd9090&topic=1126.msg6854#msg6854

You might try 0xF2000000, which if I remember correctly is the address linux claims the NAND_CS is at. That might be a virtual rather than a physical....

jlinton

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »

Dope, looks like someone found the problem that keeps the nand from being detected. Look at http://code.google.com/p/openrd/issues/detail?id=7

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:01:37 AM »

I finally decided to try doing the upgrade via USB and through UBoot as I did with the Sheeva. 
He used tftp, which conveniently requires no switch settings.
So I set up a tftp server, put the binary there, and gave it a shot.

Did you use the u-boot from this link?:
http://groups.google.com/group/openrd/attach/82f086b82c44e412/u-boot-3.4.19-openrd.zip?part=2

And do you did the update like for a sheevaplug like on this url?:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html
-----------------------------------------------------------
setenv serverip 192.168.1.2 # IP of your TFTP server
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.200
bubt uboot.bin
-----------------------------------------------------------
I want to try this on my OpenRD Ultimate....

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »

==========================================================
WARNING: I updated my Ultimate from 3.4.16 to 3.4.19 and now the
Ethernet-Port couldnt connect anymore to the Network
not in debian and even not in the 3.4.19 U-Boot

I will try to recover the U-Boot via USB

Any help like memory addresses and a URL for the 3.4.16 U-Boot are welcome

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:30:45 AM »

I will try to recover the U-Boot via USB
Any help like memory addresses and a URL for the 3.4.16 U-Boot are welcome

Thanks to Niam I did get a valid U-Boot 3.4.16 and the config-File for use with openocd
for flashing via USB (not USB-Stick).
Was a bit tricky...because of the "halt 0" Command in the Config-File...but I did get it
to work on my computer and OpeRD.
I did use openocd 0.3.1 from debian squeeze.

Now my ethernet-ports are back again and working :-)

jlinton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

As a FYI, I think the "issue" reported here http://code.google.com/p/openrd/issues/detail?id=7 may be related to the problem some people were having reflashing uboot on some of the boards.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: