I just got a Sheeva Plug and OpenRD Client, been having fun with them - until this morning!
I wanted to update the OpenRD U-Boot, and have been following links to all corners of the net (many pointing back to the "Setting Up OpenOCD Under Linux" Wiki page here) and trying a dizzying array of configurations for openocd without success. The uboot image is one from a post to the OpenRD mailing list named uboot-3.4.19-openrd.zip. (I have sent a subscribe request to that list, but haven't heard back yet.)
At this point, I have tried various versions of openocd from 0.1.0 to the current from git.
- 0.1.0 won't recognize the serial connection, I wasn't surprised with that - the OS is only creating a single /dev/ttyUSB connection. (Ubuntu 9.10)
- the current pull from git had a number of issues - first, it didn't have a version.texi file in docs, created that and it compiled. Then it didn't have the target/boards, target/target and target/interface "config file" directories. On a guess, I tried pulling those from the Marvell source tree on CD and now I have the .cfg files in /usr/local/lib/openocd/.
Finally when I run it interactively, it says it doesn't have the appropriate NAND driver, but does run. Then if I try to flash UBoot, it eventually runs the command 'arm926ejs' and complains that there aren't enough arguments.
- versions 0.2.0 and 0.3.1 had better success (although I again had to use the 'target' directories from the Marvell sources) and the output looked right, except when trying to flash the UBoot and it says :
Error: unknown NAND flash device found, manufacturer id: 0x00 device id: 0x00
probing failed for NAND flash device
Floating point exception
Not sure what to try next... I'm not finding anything when searching for that particular error.
Possibly relevant info: I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on an Asus Eee netbook. Used the libftdi in the repository. I can connect to the OpenRD and Sheeva just fine via minicom with the same system, and used the Plug Installer 1.0 to update the Sheeva without incident. (I have it running Debian from SD card, went nicely.)
To attempt the uboot update, I am using the command:
sudo openocd -f /usr/local/lib/openocd/board/openrd.cfg -c init -c openrd_reflash_uboot