• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newbie Linux Questions  (Read 1935 times)
Trune

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:47:15 PM »

Got a couple of questions i hope someone can help with.

First of all, say im on SSH, doing some stuff to my sheevaplug, and i want to copy a 1.5tb hard drive to another.
If i send the command to do it, and i close SSH will the copy process be terminated too? If so, is there a way i can send the command to the sheevaplug so it carrys on after i disconnect?

Also, i get about 7mbs when i transfer between USB devices, is there any way to speed this up? It seems very slow. Id expect about 20mbs if this was on a pc... so can i get anywhere close to that?

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »

First of all, say im on SSH, doing some stuff to my sheevaplug, and i want to copy a 1.5tb hard drive to another.
If i send the command to do it, and i close SSH will the copy process be terminated too? If so, is there a way i can send the command to the sheevaplug so it carrys on after i disconnect?
Generally speaking, yes, it will terminate.  There are several options that allow you to run a command outside of your current session.  Check out the "nohup" and "at" commands.  "nohup your-backup-command &" may cause your ssh session to hang when you try to log off, but it should allow the command to continue.  "echo your-backup-command | at now" is also a possibility if you have the right packages loaded.  YMMV.

Also, i get about 7mbs when i transfer between USB devices, is there any way to speed this up? It seems very slow. Id expect about 20mbs if this was on a pc... so can i get anywhere close to that?
What command are you using?

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »

There should be no problem. but just in case I would do it in nohup. example
Code:
unix $ nohop your_copy_command source destination >/tmp/copy.log 2>&1 &
unix $ exit

As of the speed, I would imagine if both source and destination are both connect to plug than it will be even slower. CPU moving bits from peripheral have inherit limit on bus speed I doubted it can be make faster.

Good Luck Smiley

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

thanks guys, nohup seems to be doing the trick.

reference the copy speeds ive used cp and rsync.

ive managed to get the speed up with 12mb/s but has anyone seen higher than this?
im sure people spoke of alot better speeds.

i guess its not really a huge issue, but i always like to get the most out of my stuff. Smiley

Shame my N wireless speed is still rubbish.

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »

"screen" is a nice way to log into a shell, detatch it, reattatch later, or connect to the same window multiple times from multiple locations.  Logging out won't kill the screens.

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »

now that one looks really good.

thanks. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: