• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Is my sheevaplug dead ???  (Read 89127 times)
digitlman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »

OK, since Global is not going to replace my unit, I took mine apart.  There is a burning smell, and the same cap in the photo that dotEvan posted is bulging on mine.  I haven't hooked it up to a multimeter yet.

I noticed that next to where the power cable plugs into the board, there's a "+5", which I assume is 5 volts.  Is there any way to jury rig this to run off a USB connection? 

SunnyJim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 11:15:28 PM »

Okay, I had the same problem. Green LED kept blinking approximately every second. Opened it up -- same brown crap everywhere in the power supply.

There is a fairly simple fix. Dump the power supply. Cut off the plug that connects to the main board. Then go down to "The Shack" or somewhere similar and get a Gigaware Gaming AC Power Adapter. It's about $14 or $15.  It provides an output of 5V, 2A which gives you a little clearance over what the plug usually draws -- depending on what you have plugged into it, of course.

I also purchased matching male and female DC power connectors. I think I used size M. If you unscrew the figure 8 plug connector, your new power receptacle will fit in this spot (on either side of the figure Cool. Mind the gap.

Now you have a choice. If you want to keep some of the options for the Gigaware Power Adapter, just cut off one of the plugs. Otherwise, cut them all off just before the junction where they all split off. Now just wire up your new DC power connector plug to the Gigaware power adapter and the other receptacle to the little plug you cut off the original power supply. If you wired it up without wiring it backwards it should power up nicely when you plug it in. Now just put it back together and enjoy your plug powered plug.

It's a good idea to check and re-check your connections with a voltmeter before ever connecting the new power supply to the Sheeva. As my father always says, "One is negative and one is positive. I'm just not positive which one is negative."

My Sheeva is up and running again and acting much more stable than it did just before it stopped working. The other nice thing is that it is so much cooler without the heat from the internal power supply.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

mao

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 03:35:54 AM »

Noticed also yesterday my Sheeva blinking the green LED.

I open today the box and measured the power output supply voltage 2.5Vdc. Later open the power metal box and precisely identical failure as other, brown goo was everywhere in power supply. That power supply quality is totally crap  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I have one old mobile phone charger where output is rated to 5Vdc/2A. Size is almost same than original, so that fit's the original location.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:38:20 AM by mao » Logged

digitlman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:20 AM »

Before I shell out $15, is there any way to safely test this?  What if I cut the connection from the power supply to the molex (?) connector on the inside, then take a regular USB cable and cut the B end off, and wire up just the +5 and GND to the correct wires on the sheeva end, and then plug that into the sheeva mb?  If I then plug the A end into my computer, I assume that +5 volts will be sent out, and that the sheeva will only draw the 2 amps it needs, and it should power on?  I guess I want to confirm that the power supply is the only thing that dies, and not the motherboard.

If that all works, then I can get the Gigaware device.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 06:46:24 AM »

Powered USB ports are rated for .5A, not 2A.  Causing an over-current on the PC's USB port may break it.

Mark

digitlman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »

As luck would have it, it looks like the power supply of my old NSLU2 is 5V @ 2A.    I guess I'll try that.

mao

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »

I got my plug working.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

You're going to "gut a slug"?  A sad day indeed. Wink

Mark

Mootif1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

Another dead Sheevaplug power supply.

My advice,
DO NOT USE ANY EXTERNAL USB DISK with SHEEVAPLUG WITHOUT EXTERNAL POWER!

After a few weeks running with external Lacie Porche 100 GB 2.5" mobile drive with Debian installed to this disk and power from Sheeva USB  I ended up with a dead Sheevaplug. It all happened a couple days ago when I installed more SW and compiled Hiawatha server in the plug. After it my Plug died, and when booting I had the usuals symptoms in this thread. No dmesg in my USB/Serial host and plug had green led and Ethernet leds blinking. I tried to boot with different peripherals plugged/unplugged, but no response in serial connection.  Opened up the plug,  tested the voltage and it was ok, 5.2 V.  But based on the previous posts I took the power supply of and did some soldering and with external power supply my Sheevaplug did boot successfully and now it is running happily with external power for both plug and USB DISK. I am running version 1.3 of the original Sheevaplug. 

SunnyJim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

I think the bare plug draws somewhere around 850mA to 1A without load. Adding a wireless adapter or USB flash drive might bump that up to 1100mA or so. There are some AC / USB adapters that provide right around 1A but it doesn't really give you much headroom. The Gigaware is only a suggestion. If you keep old parts around, you might find other 5V sources. If you have any broken (powered) USB hubs around, many of those seem to be 5V @ approximately 2500mA to 3000 mA.

The plug will only draw the power it needs so the 2A is only to make sure I'm not stressing this power supply, too.

I would second not using an unpowered USB hard drive. I was using an unpowered 2.5" SSD. I thought I might get away with that since it wouldn't have to spin up. Interestingly, I almost always use a powered hub but just neglected to hook it up this week when I was moving it and upgrading some software (it had been running 24/7 since September). So, I'm just guessing but I think it's ultimately a heat issue that is weakening and killing the power supply.

portnawak

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »

W I submitted an RMA to Globalscale, but they told me the warranty is only for 30 days!  How the f**k did I miss this info?   A device that sells for over $100, and they only stand by their product for 30 days?

That's strange, for devices bought to NewIT, the GST warranty is one year : http://www.newit.co.uk/index.php?id=14

SunnyJim

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 01:16:06 AM »

SuperPat has some really important information in the thread on USB power supply problems (http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1347.msg8339#msg8339).

Please Read It before you attempt any modifications on your power supply! Pay particular attention to the warning:

WARNING....  MAINS SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES, ESPECIALLY THE FILTER CAPACITORS CAN HAVE SEVERAL HUNDRED VOLTS ACROSS THEM EVEN AFTER THE SHEEVAPLUG IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAINS. THEY CAN  KILL OR GIVE YOU A NASTY FLASH BURN.  OBSERVE ALL NORMAL HIGH VOLTAGE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN WORKING ON MAINS SWITCHERS. 

If you don't know the normal HV safety rules then you should not be into a mains switcher!

I would add that it is possible for the capacitors to hold this dangerous charge for weeks or even months.  Don't assume that it is safe simply because it has been unplugged over night or over the weekend. In fact, I wouldn't recommend opening the silver box.

Upon re-reading my posts, I realize I posted without including the warnings I should have. I apologize for unintentionally putting anyone at risk. Please use care.

The other thing SuperPat suggests is that a 5V @ 3A to 4A  external power supply may be necessary as the Sheeva can draw as much as 2A at peak load. So far, my Sheevaplug is still working well but I defer to his judgement and knowledge.

digitlman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »

OK, I have hooked up my old NSLU2's power supply, and the Plug lives!

Now, I suppose I just need to get some heat shrinktube, arrange and solder the conenctions, then use the shrinktube over the joints, and I should be OK to run this thing without causing a fire!

I started to re-install to the USB HDD last night and had some errors, but I'll probably start all over again and upgrade the uBoot and then kernel.

Stuarty

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 07:13:26 AM »

I had the same problem with my plug: dead power supply. When I opened it up it looked exactly like the pictures posted by others earlier.

I took out the old, dead sheeva power supply and added a supply from a usb hub I had lying around. Now everything is back and working with no obvious problems yet.

theblop

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »

Hi,

My sheevaplug just died a couple of days ago, with pretty much the same symptoms: starting with blinking ethernet light (and even disrupting my router causing lots of packet loss for all the machines on my LAN!) and eventually dying completely with blinking power light.

The only thing the USB plug was powering were some LEDs on the USB hub connected to it (the HDs connected to the hub were self-powered)

When I unplugged the plug, the lights carried on blinking for 30 seconds, so it was definitely looking like a capacitor problem. I opened the plug and saw the same mess as the picture posted in this thread.

I'll probably rig something with an old 5V power supply later but right now I'm wondering if I should cancel a previous pre-order for a guruplug if they're going to have the same crappy power supply...

A lot of people are having the same problem so hopefully this will be fixed in the next plugs!

EDIT: Just rigged a 5V/2.5A external power supply and the (franken-)plug is back online...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:58:14 PM by theblop » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to: