• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Is my sheevaplug dead ???  (Read 90926 times)
hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »

how much? $10?

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »

Hi.

Yes it's $9.95 but  a  HUGE Fedex charge!

I have asked NEWIT if I can buy one from them!

P

copy of email from GlobalScale:-

Subject:     RE: Replacement SheevaPlug power supply
Date:     Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:03:46 -0700
To:     <patrick@XXXXXXXXX>
References:     <WEB707ir3wSimD3JkUw000070b9@web707.discountasp.net>

Dear Patrick,

The unit price of power supply unit is $9.95 USD plus $43.00(FedEx international Shipping).

If you are not in a hurry, our European distributor will start to carry the power supply units within one month, you can obtain a new unit from them to save the freight.

Best Regards,

/Support 1103/

Globalscale Technologies, Inc.

evilned

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

Shipping was a little over 7 dollars if you were in the US.

jrmt

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2010, 05:17:26 AM »

My SheevaPlug is dying -- keeps rebooting every 2 minutes now. It has been running since last November
continuously. Hoping that NewIT will have a replacement PSU in soon, otherwise I'll have to do some DIY
soldering and find another 5v brick.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »

can someone post a link to their product page? I can't find the page to order the power supply. I've e-mailed them, but i've received no response.

mrjoel

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »

Just to make sure before attempting to replace my powersupply (since I have to replace it anyway, I'd rather get the heat outside the case and be done with it), I have the following supply that is listed as 5V, 5A. I'm assuming it's a regulated power supply and so will only output the current needed, all at 5V and so there shouldn't be any problems using this power supply and cabling it to a DC jack that I'll install in the plug wall?

http://www.pricedbelowmarket.com/assets/img/264947_1_600w.jpg

Or, as an alternative, I also have a 5.2V, 2A power supply, what is the voltage tolerance on the plug?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:39:23 PM by mrjoel » Logged

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

can someone post a link to their product page? I can't find the page to order the power supply. I've e-mailed them, but i've received no response.

https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=SheevaPlugPSU also on this page is the link to the Installation guide PDF.

joosty

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »

My 1 year old Sheevaplug started to lock up every day or so. I couldn't find any errors/warnings in the logs, so after reading this topic I suspected the power supply. I opened it up and it didn't look good to me at all (see picture). I removed the psu, and connected my old NSLU2 power adapter, so far so good!!

Joost

* photo.jpg (115.4 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1083 times.)

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »

https://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=SheevaPlugPSU also on this page is the link to the Installation guide PDF.

Well, that's great, but ordering it from NewIT ends up giving a shipping price that is almost 4x the product price. What's the link for the globalscale product page?

calamari

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »

Just wanted to thank you guys for the detailed instructions on how to fix this. You saved my day!

My SheevaPlug died yesterday and I didn't even have an external HD attached, just a USB stick. Maybe the weather was too hot  Wink. I didn't even bother to open the silver box (also because of the warnings here) because the blinking LED symptoms were pretty clear.

Following the instructions of SunnyJim and oswald31, it's running again! After slightly enlarging the figure 8 plug connector hole, the jack fit in perfectly.

Maybe the following is helpful for some people with the same problem that are similarly unexperienced as me with this stuff:
  • It's actually okay to connect both the red cables to positive and both the black cables to negative, as shown on some of the photos here. I.e. it's okay to connect each pair to the same pole with the same voltage.
  • If you get one of those jacks with a switching contact, you don't need to connect the switching contact to anything.

pistacik

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:42 AM »

As hungarianhc mentioned, pice of replacement power supply is just fine, but shipping is 35 (newit) or 47$ (globalscale). No way I'm paying this.
I will try to replace caps and if it won't work, I will buy external power spupply (about 10-13$ in local shop).

Sheeva is nice piece of HW, but if I knew this in advance, I would not buy it...

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

but shipping is 35 (newit)
It is to Honduras, but you claim to be in Prague and shipping there is ~5.

pistacik

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:34 AM »

It is to Honduras, but you claim to be in Prague and shipping there is ~5.

Well fine, somebody must have changed it. I remember back in January, Czech Republic had definitely 35 shipping - reason I finally ordered it from Globalscale. Some EU (at least Slovakia) countries still have 35 shipping... I probably consider buying replacement PSU it next time.

Nevertheless:
Yeasterday I bought 2 caps (worth some .1$ each) - 6,3V, 1000uF, 105C  rating. Soldered, put unit back together and voila - everything works!  (I use it with 160 GB 2,5 HDD in cheap chinese enclosure.)

One more note - there is absolutely no sign of electrolyte leaking on bottom of original caps. From top it looked pretty much the same (with burned glue) as these from recursix> http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1318.msg8145#msg8145

I just remind, that symptoms of my unit were little bit different - no blinking, green LED on and both NIC LEDs on. PSU without load: 5V, with load: 3V.
I did not checked logs for information how long sheeva was running in such state.

Backpacker

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »

My PSU died yesterday evening. Thanks to this forum, I knew this was inevitable so a new PSU was already on order with NewIT. However, I needed the plug to be up and running ASAP.

Fortunately I had an old ATX power supply lying around which is able to supply a whopping 30A at 5V (via the RED wire). Plenty for what I need. After some handywork everything was connected and the plug works fine again.

For the record: If anybody else is going to attempt to use a PC power supply, you need to be aware of the fact that the GREEN and a BLACK wire need to be connected to each other for the PSU to work. Otherwise it'll just remain in the standby mode. I simply inserted a strategically clipped paperclip into the motherboard connector, shorting the green with a black, and put some tape over it to keep it in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

NewIT claims that the new PSUs should be available for shipping around August 4th, so I hope this solution will work for a week or so.

el_nihilo

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »

Same story as everyone else here. Left a 2.5" 7200 RPM HDD directly plugged in through USB for a few days, and the plug PSU died.

For people looking for a solution on the cheap (hoping it doesn't look like I'm advertising):
- PSU: PSP 5V 2A PSU, [EUR] or [US]) ~$10
- PSU connector, if you don't mind adding a hole to the plug, to switch PSUs and use one with more amps if needed: this one or this one ~$3

Ships any place but will take weeks, so no good if you're in a hurry. But if you're looking for a cheap replacement, and a PSU that *should* take 2 amps without ending up in smoke, that should do. Might even manage to fit the PSU inside the plug if you really want.

Been running my plug, with the plug powered HDD for a couple of days now, and the PSU is holding at barely lukewarm. Not requiring an external powered hub is quite convenient.
Of course, if that PSU dies, I'll let you know.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to: