• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: basic microSD questions (GuruPlug)  (Read 2615 times)
azorius

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:38 AM »

I have aqured a "new" guruplug (the noisy one w/o heat problems from what I can understand)

I am not a linux ninja (biochem major, linux hobbiest (at best)), and I don't wanna be bothered to much with having to deleate packages when mircoSD cards are as cheap as they are... but regarding the use of them I have some general questions

1) for the "larger" SD cards there are a 1.0 and a 2.0 reader where the 1.0 cannot read 2+ GB cards... are there any likewise issues with the smaller ones or can I buy a 8-16 or 32 GB card and stuff it right in

2) I have read about people having issues with the mounting and filesystem premissions on their cards... how is this most easily fixed... I presume by mkfs.ext2?

3) My main question:
  - I don't have the developers edition of the Guru plug... so if I kill it I have no way to revive it (corect me if I am wrong)...
  - my first idear was to change fstab to mount /home /bin /usr /var (and maby others) from the SD card... then copy all the content from thouse folders to the microSD card (with something like cp -rf /bin /media/mircoSD), reboot, and voila... but if this fails my system is lost (forever?)
  - I saw some people linking to their SD card instead... how do I go about doing this.. and is this better?, safer?, faster? or?

I hope that you guys can make sense of my questions

pietsnot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »

just create a boot-FS on your microSD-card, just follow:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SD_Card_As_Root_File_System

it's working fine with a 8gb CL6 mmc !
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:03:46 AM by pietsnot » Logged

[unbricked]2xguruplug-server+2xjtag>nslu2;debian squeeze; [4|8]gb mmc:rootFS+swapFS; sata-hd 2tb; Linux-kernel-2.6.35.12; U-Boot_2010.03-01266; iptables:FW+router+gw;dhcpd;sshd;sabnzbd;vsftpd;exim4;rTorrent; nfs[d]; autofs; xorg; icewm; iceweasel; xrdp; privoxy+tor; apache; smbd; mediatomb>pch-a110

azorius

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »

I just read/skimmed half the guide and it looks very solid, thanks a lot!... I will go order a 16 gb microSD card tomorrow

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: