• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GuruPlug versus SheevaPlug  (Read 9022 times)
fillibar

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »

I know this is early (since according to GlobalScale they are not shipping for a while) but I think a comparison of the general features and capabilities of the GuruPlugs (including the Plus) to the SheevaPlug would be useful once we have physical specimens on hand. I mentioned it in another post but I think it might be useful to make sub-sections of the current Hardware category to account for the different varieties. Although most anything done on a SheevaPlug should work on a GuruPlug (considering the core).

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »

Hello,
The Guruplugs are supposed to come in April, can't wait.
I'm hesitating, if the guruplug wasn't advertised i would buy an esata sheevaplug from newit right now, but wifi+BT+2nd Ethernet is really nice...
The guruplug is also smaller, due to the fact that the jtag module is external (add this to the price, except if you order early).
Currently GST's website is down, but I have one question regarding this external module: is it needed to use the serial interface (to configure uboot for example).
That would mean that without the JTAG module, it is "safe" to break the kernel and so on, only updating uboot would be a risk, am I right?
Do you know if NewIT has plans to do an offer similar to GST's (free JTAG for early orders)?
Cause if they don't, it could be more interesting for us Europeans to pay more for shipping and duty by ordering from GST (if their website comes back Wink), if the JTAG module is free!

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:24:10 PM »

Looks like the Globalscale site is back up now, but it also looks like the GuruPlug Display (the one with the HDMI interface in it) just got a tad more expensive, and pre-ordering it no longer gets you a free JTAG!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:41:30 PM by restamp » Logged

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »

Looks like the Globalscale site is back up now, but it also looks like the GuruPlug Display (the one with the HDMI interface in it) just got a tad more expensive, and pre-ordering it no longer gets you a free JTAG!

I think the spec changed a little bit, it was 802.11g/b, now it is 802.11n. kernel gone back to 2.6.28. I think may be there are things not decide yet. so we can still see more changes.

Good Luck Smiley

shadowjk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:09:45 PM »

Is this the same CPU as in the sheevaplug?

noman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 02:41:15 AM »

no it will be the PXA168, as you can see here:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/skins/skin_1/images/gpsd_blockdiagram.jpg

i think the GuruPlug Display will not be able to play 1080p vidz Sad but nice try

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:36:11 AM »

This is true only for the Guruplug Display (and I think they only offered the free JTAG for the server and server plus, and they do until end of february).
The server version is the same SoC as the Sheeva's, only with more connectivity (wifi b/g, but not n, 2nd ethernet, esata).
On the pictures and diagrams, it seems the miniusb port that provides serial access is located on the JTAG module. Could someone confirm that?

alfon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »

Do you know if NewIT has plans to do an offer similar to GST's (free JTAG for early orders)?
Cause if they don't, it could be more interesting for us Europeans to pay more for shipping and duty by ordering from GST (if their website comes back Wink), if the JTAG module is free!

My understanding is that NewIT doesn't plan to make free JTAG offer.

Also, my understanding is that there are other differences between NewIT and Globalscale, beyond the cost of shipping. In general, NewIT is much more bent on customer support than GST is. With GST, they get your money and send you the plugs when available. In between, you are mostly left in the dark, your e-mails go unanswered etc. With NewIT, you send a mail and get a polite, precise reply within a few hours (timezone differences permitting).

This difference in CS policy is probably the reason why NewIT don't offer the free JTag box (in order to do so they would probably have to start selling guruplugs before getting them, possibly before even having seen them - something I suspect they don't want to do).

So the choice is really, get a pleasant buying experience from NewIT or a free JTag box from GST.

the Free JTag offer is still (or again?) in the GST site.

Alf

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »

I think th Display Guruplug was never advertised with the JTAG module, only the Server and Serverplus were (and are until end of Feb)

fillibar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »

It would be nice if Globalscale actually had all these listed under their product link, but for those that may not have found it otherwise here are links to the GuruPlugs:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-4-guruplugs.aspx

One thing I noted on the Display page it indicates there will be two varieties (one HDMI and one Touch Screen variety, check the features page). The other thing that seems odd is the different styling and hardware sets of these different GuruPlugs. I am surprised by the level of variation due to the core processors. The product brief for the PXA168 is available and indicates it has video in, audio, and "5-in-1" card reader features. Another interesting piece is that it specifically states that it will support Android (for those interested).

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

Two things...

1) Can someone summarize the differences between the two CPUs? (Sheevaplug v. Guruplug). I can't seem to find any concrete info.

2) Also, this may sound elementary... but... what's JTAG? I did some googling on it, but I couldn't find any concrete info. I have a Sheevaplug set up running Debian as my squeezebox server / NAS, etc etc, but I never had to interact w/ JTAG. Very curious. Thanks!

noman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

1) the guruplug just have more external components (wlan, bluetooth, esata, usb-hub) and _no_ internal jtag/uart to usb interface Sad
2) with the jtag you can control the cpu manually (stepping, execute assemble commands, dump register, etc). it is used to debug the cpu and you can program the internal flash if you have lost the bootloader.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »

1) the guruplug just have more external components (wlan, bluetooth, esata, usb-hub) and _no_ internal jtag/uart to usb interface Sad
Yep i know about the primary differences, but i was actually asking about the CPU itself. I'm lead to believe that they are slightly different... no?

noman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

differences? both devices have the same cpu 88F6281,  as you can see in the block diagram
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/skins/skin_1/images/gpsp_blockdiagram.jpg
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/skins/skin_1/images/Sheeva_Plug_BlockDiagram.png

fillibar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »

There is a SLIGHT difference for the CPUs. The GuruPlug Servers (Standard or Plus/Luxury) and the SheevaPlug have the exact same processor.

However, the GuruPlug Display has a different processor. This one uses the PXA168.
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdisplaydetails.aspx#component

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: