• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Startech 4-Bay SATA USB Enclosure - Sheevaplug fileserver suitable?  (Read 2070 times)
c128

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I'm waiting on a Sheevaplug, and my long term aim is to use it to replace my current Intel-based file server.  This file server uses 4x500GB SATA drives, and as I'd really like to re-use these drives with the Sheevaplug, I've been looking at suitable USB SATA enclosures.

General USB SATA drive enclosures seem mostly to be single drive, although I've found a couple of dual drive enclosures and, most interesting for me, this:

http://www.startech.com/item-download/SAT3540U2E-35in-4-Drive-eSATA-USB-Multi-Bay-External-Hard-Drive-Enclosure.aspx

...so that's an enclosure that will take 4 SATA drives and offer them up on a USB interface.

Information seems to be thin on the ground, although there's a manual downloadable from the above - I can find no reviews and (relatively) few distributers, let alone Sheevaplug users.  However, it does look like they're available here in the UK for around 116, which isn't too bad if you tot up the cost of 4 single enclosures or 2 duals, and it would make things quite neat.

However...would I be asking for trouble using something esoteric like the above as my file storage in a Sheevaplug based file-server setup?

Hadraniel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

However...would I be asking for trouble using something esoteric like the above as my file storage in a Sheevaplug based file-server setup?
No it's not esoteric. As far as I know, there are quiet a few people, facilitating the SheevaPlug as NAS -  at least one of them with RAID.

I have built a RAID5 with 5x1T WD Greenpower, using SheevaPlug and 5 USB Cases.
I noticed that StarTech 4x USB/eSATA-case, but thought it's way overpriced so I bought 5 pretty simple USB-SATA-cases.

Running with raid5, lvm, dm_crypt, and cxbiker's 2.6.32.6 , I get ~5MB/sec over SMB - not impressive but sufficient for HD-videostreaming.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: