• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2.6.32.7 new release  (Read 2335 times)
cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »

2.6.32.7 is now available.

Kernel and modules are available from the following location:

http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

Features dmcrypt, IPV6, CIFS, NFS4, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS, FUSE(for ntfs-3g), UBIFS, usb-serial, uvcvideo, iptables, appletalk, bluetooth, v4l and ppp.

mookiedog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »

This is my first-time kernel upgrade.  I tried the README script and I got:

./README-2.6.32.7  --nandkernel
[snip]
2010-01-30 12:28:07 (1.59 MB/s) - `sheeva-2.6.32.7-uImage.md5' saved [57/57]

Extracting modules
Flashing kernel to NAND
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 1e0000 -- 93 % complete. Cleanmarker written at 1e0000.
Image 2822244 bytes, NAND page 2048 bytes, OOB area 2048 bytes, device size 2097152 bytes
Input file does not fit into device: Success
Data was only partially written due to error
: Success

Did my plug just become unbootable?  How do I recover from this?

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:38:37 PM »

So, until now, you have been running on the kernel and associated file system that was delivered with your Plug?

If so, that is a very old kernel and FS.  Mine came with 2.6.22.18.  I'm not even sure if the newest kernel is compatible with that version of the FS.

The NAND on the Plug is divided into several partitions:  There are separate areas allocated for the Uboot, the Uboot environment, and the kernel.  The rest is normally allocated for the root file system.  The size and start points of each partition are indicated by the 'mdtparts' definition in the Uboot environment.  The kernel defines the /dev/mdt* entries based on this, and the kernel you tried to write was thus written to a specific part of the NAND based on what is defined in mdtparts.  I believe, at some point, the area allocated for the kernel was expanded, due to the new kernels requiring more space, with the extra space taken from the root file system.  This is probably why your new kernel didn't fit.

So, does it boot?  I would suspect not.  If not, my advice:  Grab the latest SheevaPlug Installer and get yourself back to a known-state bootable system.  The Installer will remap the NAND allocations to currently acceptable sizes.  It will also provide a later version of the root file system and a more recent kernel.  Once you do this, you can then upgrade your kernel to the latest one available if you desire.

If you have stuff in your root file system you need to save before running the installer, then you'll have to use an alternate method of booting your Plug -- either from an SDcard, or USB drive, or network boot -- to retrieve it first.  Once you run the Sheeva Installer, everything in the NAND will be overwritten with a fresh copy of the Uboot and OS.

Good luck!

mookiedog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »

Yes, it is bricked.

calamari

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »

Maybe you can still recover it? I've noted some instructions here:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Recovering_from_bad_kernel_flash

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »

I've updated the README file to do an mtd partition size check prior to writing the uImage.  This should be useful for this who get sheeva's with 2M uImage partitions.

mookiedog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »

Yes, I got it unbricked last night.  The windows version of the unbricker process didn't work (openocd was never able to talk to the device, in spite of seemingly having all the right drivers present).  The linux version worked though, so I am back in business. 

cbxbiker61: Thanks for adding the check on the mtd size.  That should save some trouble for others.  Also, thanks for making it so easy to upgrade the kernel!  Your README kernel upgrade executables kick butt!  ...and I gotta ask: do you ride a CBX?  That inline 6 must sound pretty good!

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »

...and I gotta ask: do you ride a CBX?  That inline 6 must sound pretty good!

Yeah, I have a CBX.  I've got a 6 into 1 exhaust which makes a really nice sound.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: