• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GuruPlug-Server is available?  (Read 15652 times)
popon

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:54:05 AM »

I found this page :
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx
When is the order  available at website? I like to buy the Guruplug-server plus. $129
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:58:41 AM by popon » Logged

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:49:32 AM »

Try this page:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-4-guruplugs.aspx

Smiley

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

Very nice. Seems that there will be a whole bunch of options in the near future. Smiley

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

popon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:02:13 AM »

I ordered a GuruPlug-server plus .  mail fee: $46.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:20:38 AM »

Weird.  The page at that link no longer has content.

EDIT: It's back.  Maybe my browser was hosed?  I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:05:40 PM by MarkF » Logged

Mark

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »

Theres some interesting stuff coming out in the arm space now... but that guru plug actually looks pretty nifty (for a hacker-type), makes me wish there were more manufactures doing the same (producing hacker-friendly equipment). Though in a way its probably a good thing their not cause i'd be much poorer for the experience.

That guruplug server plus though is pretty impressive connectivity wise, 2xgb eths, usb, esata, usnap, wifi, and bluetooth. All for only 30$ more then the original sheeva plug. That really does expand the possibilities incredibly.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »

The guruplug looks to have the same CPU as the sheevaplug... Am I reading that correctly? I'd love to upgrade to a newer plug, but I don't want to upgrade until I can get a faster CPU.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »

The guruplug looks to have the same CPU as the sheevaplug... Am I reading that correctly?
Yes, that is how it appears.  Devices based on the newer, faster, all singing, all dancing CPU Wink are not available for purchase yet and I haven't seen a date for them.  Since the version 3.0 plugs were "functioning prototypes" at CES, it could be any day now.  Or it could be the end of the year.  It probably depends on certifications (UL, et al); but, I'm guessing.

I'd love to upgrade to a newer plug, but I don't want to upgrade until I can get a faster CPU.
Is there something your current plug can't do because of speed?  Don't get me wrong, I'm all over a faster plug to speed up my SqueezeBox Server web UI.  Its just that everything I want mine to do that it can't (media encoding/decoding, for example) is because of no floating point and the faster CPU won't fix that.

Mark

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

As for what I'd like faster...
I'd like the Web UI for my squeezebox server to run much faster.
I'd like CPU utilization to be lower when doing rsyncs
I'd like my squeezebox server re-scans to be faster
I'd like my NAS copies to be faster
I know it will not guarantee all of these, but it will definitely help the Web UI. Don't get me wrong - I love my Sheevaplug. I'm just not going to pay for an upgrade unless I can get a faster CPU in there too! Although, the eSata is tempting...

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:08:12 AM »

Although, the eSata is tempting
Smiley I agree.

Mark

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »

As for what I'd like faster...
I'd like the Web UI for my squeezebox server to run much faster.
I'd like CPU utilization to be lower when doing rsyncs
I'd like my squeezebox server re-scans to be faster
I'd like my NAS copies to be faster
I know it will not guarantee all of these, but it will definitely help the Web UI. Don't get me wrong - I love my Sheevaplug. I'm just not going to pay for an upgrade unless I can get a faster CPU in there too! Although, the eSata is tempting...

I think you'll find alot of that may actually happen with an esata interface... eSata can be a bit of a tricky interface, but its faster and kinder on the cpu. From my limited playing with esata (i've never bothered benchmarking, and there are alot of factors involved, so take this with a grain of salt), the esata interface is not only faster for transfer and a fair bit less cpu intense, but its also got a bit lower latency. Alot of the things you mention above are going to be impacted more by io wait (or io processing done on the cpu because its usb) rather then cpu speed as such (especially the rsync).

Though personally, i'd wait for some useful benchmarks of the guruplug.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »

You are definitely correct - i MAY end up going with the guruplug, but my squeezebox is working pretty well. I think I can hold out til the faster version comes out... i'd LOVE if it had a 1GB internal NAND.

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:20:35 AM »

You are definitely correct - i MAY end up going with the guruplug, but my squeezebox is working pretty well. I think I can hold out til the faster version comes out... i'd LOVE if it had a 1GB internal NAND.
You don't need 1G NAND. Squashfs and aufs2 are what you need.

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04:11 AM »

interesting you should mention that, cause I was thinking the same thing..

From my experience with the sheeva plug, i'd be happy if they dropped the nand to around 64g and upped the memory. Im tending not to use the nand for an OS and am just storing kernel/initrd combo's on it (then using those to boot usb or mmc)... mostly cause the uboot sd/usb support i've been having tonnes of trouble with, but so long as you can get to an initrd the linux kernel has no problems addressing sd/usb storage.

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:33 AM »

interesting you should mention that, cause I was thinking the same thing..

From my experience with the sheeva plug, i'd be happy if they dropped the nand to around 64g and upped the memory. Im tending not to use the nand for an OS and am just storing kernel/initrd combo's on it (then using those to boot usb or mmc)... mostly cause the uboot sd/usb support i've been having tonnes of trouble with, but so long as you can get to an initrd the linux kernel has no problems addressing sd/usb storage.

If you use the correct commands in uBoot you should be able to boot the kernel and RFS from a USB device, no initrd needed.
There is a lot of information on how to do this both on the CD which comes with the plug and at http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: