• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Veeshnu, a Sheeva-based host router using OpenWRT  (Read 8879 times)
dieselchrist

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »

Hi,

(This is my first post. Please be kind to me as I am a n00b user, hehe)

Just to keep you informed, I am trying to build an OpenWRT image for SheevaPlug. After all, it already contains all the bits and pieces needed. Previously, I was able also to boot FreeBSD into my plug. My personal goal is to build a 'dream router appliance',

For basic stuff (booting via tftp / USB, and booting into command-line), it seems to work. The build environment also contains the logic to build a suitable toolchain.

What I think it is missing is being able to install it on flash, and using it as a fully effective root filesystem, so I could also install packages. To reach that goal, I just modified the stock kernel config adding the one from sheeva.with-linux, as well as a couple of patches.

Other than that, what would you advise? I am thinkering about maintaining this for a while as a way to learn proper kernel and distro maintenance. But then, I'd like to ask your comments first.

(Hopefully, I envision being able to move this thread to the success stories thread in a while :])
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:59:10 PM by dieselchrist » Logged

pancho

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »

Hi!

I really like  the idea (and the witty name :-).

What I really miss in the SheevaPlug is a second ethernet port.  That's why I was considering getting an Open-RD client, which provides two.  But recently I saw a CES 2010 video where they showed a new SheevaPlug with two ethernet ports.  Let's hope that they release it in the near future.

Happy hacking!

pancho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »

Yep, popon posted the url to this super SheevaPlug:

wifi + bluetooth + 2 ethernet ports!  ideal for Veeshnu, don't you think?

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx

dieselchrist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

Well, I think it could work with a single ethernet port and a switch. Perhaps I might be missing something, but let me try.

Meanwhile, I posted the instructions to compile at the wiki.

pancho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:44:05 AM »

Well, I think it could work with a single ethernet port and a switch. Perhaps I might be missing something, but let me try.
Certainly.  Using alias interfaces.  For home use, that would suffice;  it's just that I was thinking of a more secure application, enterprise-grade so to say, with dedicated ethernet interfases for both the intranet and the evil-world-outside(TM).  But, by all means, go on!

Sweet.  Thanks!

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »

Single Interface with VLans should do the trick. But for a firewall i would prefer physical interfaces.

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »

I'm trying to compile OpenWRT for my SheevaPlug too. Can you post your change to the config file?

Thanks
Hi,

(This is my first post. Please be kind to me as I am a n00b user, hehe)

Just to keep you informed, I am trying to build an OpenWRT image for SheevaPlug. After all, it already contains all the bits and pieces needed. Previously, I was able also to boot FreeBSD into my plug. My personal goal is to build a 'dream router appliance',

For basic stuff (booting via tftp / USB, and booting into command-line), it seems to work. The build environment also contains the logic to build a suitable toolchain.

What I think it is missing is being able to install it on flash, and using it as a fully effective root filesystem, so I could also install packages. To reach that goal, I just modified the stock kernel config adding the one from sheeva.with-linux, as well as a couple of patches.

Other than that, what would you advise? I am thinkering about maintaining this for a while as a way to learn proper kernel and distro maintenance. But then, I'd like to ask your comments first.

(Hopefully, I envision being able to move this thread to the success stories thread in a while :])

steve1234
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 11:34:29 PM »

well ur idea is agreeable to me, u can also get some useful information from http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx this link as its sound really gud..

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: