• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Installing Debian to flash (the alternative, alternative Debian install method)  (Read 2755 times)
af3556

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »

I've added to (and rearranged slightly) the Debian install notes in the wiki, to provide fairly detailed do-it-yourself instructions for getting Debian onto the internal flash:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Installing_Debian_To_Flash

("do it yourself" means not relying on sheevaplug installer or other scripts; just the Debian installer and a bunch of terminal commands)

Rgds,
Ben
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:33:24 AM by af3556 » Logged

kimx

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

Hi, I'm trying to follow the guide on the wiki. But I have a problem running the installer. I can't find the option to install without a kernel. With a normal install the root (/) is already 585MB and that's to big for the flash. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thank you

kimx

mundhra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »

kimx: i found this link useful for post-install trimming.

the reason your image is so big initially is likely during the 'software selection' process you left 'standard system' checked and perhaps checked other options.

af3556

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »

... I can't find the option to install without a kernel.

You'll be asked during the install process about which kernel you want, one of the options will be "none" - select that. It's not the end of the world if you do install a kernel, as you'll later install a sheeva-with-linux kernel, but it could confuse matters.

With a normal install the root (/) is already 585MB and that's to big for the flash

Wow - as mundhra said, I suspect you must have selected a "give me the lot" option somewhere along the way. Try not to select any optional components, should come in well under 200 MB.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:50:43 AM by af3556 » Logged

kimx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:38:51 AM »

Hi, thank you very much for your help. In fact I left the 'standard system' checked, but I've done the installtion 3 times with different installers (even that used by the wiki), but I was never asked about kernel related things. After partitioning the system installs some kirkwood kernel automatically. Now I will try again.

kimx

af3556

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:35 AM »

I recall the kernel option was something like "manually manage kernel". Though the installer's under development, so it may no longer have the option. If you can't avoid installing a kernel, you should be able to remove it post-install.

If/when you do resolve this issue one way or the other, it would be helpful to add a note to the wiki page :-)

kimx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:57:46 AM »

I'm installing right now, but I think that the kernel will be added. The strange thing is I used the same installer as you in the wiki article.

kimx

mundhra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »

kimx: i had a default kernel installed as well, having never seen the selection screen.

at the very first step of the installer, you can tab down to 'go back'. there you can select the priority level (forgive me, i don't remember the exact menu option). i'm not sure but i think the default level is medium. if you set it to low, the installer doesn't assume as much and will prompt you more about how you want to configure your install. when i tried this, it did ask me what kernel i wanted. you can try to install with low priority, but i don't think it's really necessary and you aren't really suffering by letting it install a kernel, you can just delete it from your media if you're booting from NAND.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: