• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: eSata SheevaPlug  (Read 21760 times)
NewIT

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »

We are expecting delivery of these on the 27th Jan: http://www.newit.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »

Do NewIT get it from Globalscale? will NewIT have a North America version?

Good Luck Smiley

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

Hi yes we do get our stock from Globalscale, but we only buy UK and EU versions.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

Cool!  Does the esata port support port multiplication?

Mark

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »

@newit

This is great news!

As you probably know I modified my v1.3 plug, to enable the Esata. It works extremely well, with a good transfer rate! You can read the saga in the hardware section.

The price you are asking is reasonable for a commercially enabled version.  It is probably less increment than what I had to pay for the extra components and tools to do the fine soldering.

However I am very interested in understanding what sata enabled U-boot and kernel images you will be sellling with these sata plugs?

I have been using a uboot produced by a poster here "fun" and a kernel I rolled myself.   I  have set up a bootable sata drive with a deb root file system and a fairly new kernel.  all I have to do is power up and in a few seconds  I have a  deb system running on a 2.5in 500GB drive.

(Thats not when I am test Mgillespie's new sheevaplug loader, which  blows away my esata uboot ) !

regards

Patrick

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »

Hi yes we do get our stock from Globalscale, but we only buy UK and EU versions.
Thanks for reply. I will check with Globalscale to see when they will have it ready for order.

Good Luck Smiley

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:29:23 PM »

Thanks for reply. I will check with Globalscale to see when they will have it ready for order.

I think it may be a while before GST have them for sale, how many do you need, because the test model has the US cables, we can put them into a new units box for you.

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »

I think it may be a while before GST have them for sale, how many do you need, because the test model has the US cables, we can put them into a new units box for you.
I would like to have at least one, may be a second one later once I have first one setup correctly (kernel, u-boot...).

I am not sure what it mean
test model has the US cables
does it mean it can only use a North America 2 power cord? And it does not have the old sheevaplug's two pin direct attachment?

Also what do you mean
new units box
Do you mean shipping packaging box or you mean the sheevaplug's external plastic box?

One more question, what would be the shipping cost from UK to Canada? (I don't want pay shipping which is close or more then the thing I am buying) I just figure out how to use you website to get the shipping cost Embarrassed

Sorry for all this questions, And thank you very much for the offering.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:15:27 PM by pingtoo » Logged

Good Luck Smiley

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »

However I am very interested in understanding what sata enabled U-boot and kernel images you will be sellling with these sata plugs?

I have been using a uboot produced by a poster here "fun" and a kernel I rolled myself.   I  have set up a bootable sata drive with a deb root file system and a fairly new kernel.  all I have to do is power up and in a few seconds  I have a  deb system running on a 2.5in 500GB drive.

I have the advance model and these are the first things that we did:

* Checked U-Boot and environment variables (same as original Sheevaplug, except MAC address of course)
* Booted and checked O/S - (same as original Sheevaplug)

Presence of eSATA gave us sda and sdb, IIRC the eSATA was sdb (could be wrong though - it's not fired up right now).

* Modified environment variables and tested booting with current SD card.

We're working on the images, I suppose that the unchanged version numbers in U-Boot and kernel don't reveal the eSATA software changes, I can let you know the specifics as soon as we've figured it out.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »

This is great, I'd love to add eSATA to my current plug. Smiley It'd sure take a load off the USB bus.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

c128

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:22:38 AM »

Does the esata port support port multiplication?

I'd like to echo this query.

I currently use a plug as a fileserver connected via USB to one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/EdgeStore-DAS400-Bay-USB-Enclosure/dp/B001H54JXQ, and it works very well...
However...if the eSATA port did support Port Multiplication, that would open up a whole new world of faster multi-bay enclosures.

tangleboss2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

I've been following the self modify route to ESATA also - mainly following the progress reports of superpat. The extra cost of a ready made one although large in terms of the cost of getting a couple dollars worth of components installed on a board already laid out for them is minor compared to the pain of ordering the components from the States and the even larger pain of sorting out the required software - even the 'where to get XXX' links on the wiki 'how to cross compile a kernel' seem broken. I have reasonable Linux experience but am new to all this cross-compile stuff. There is another post pointing out these issues.

So far I have the hardware done - a USB microscope came in handy for checking the soldering.

Also got a UBoot version that supports both SD card and ESATA - I got this from a forum posting where some kind soul posted a modified version, I'm afraid I can't remember where. I don't think this is essential unless you want to boot from ESATA but the OpenRD version which has been suggested doesn't support SD cards which I am booting from (and also refused to reload another version via either TFTP or USB so I had to resort to the installer).

I've got a kernel and modules compiled and will be testing shortly. Using the latest kernel from sheevawithlinux didn't work although it has the required driver as it lacks the port enabling code in the board specific code which superpat also pointed out. That's unfortunate, I don't know if there is significant power consumption cost if you enable the port(s) but don't use them. If you do 'ata reset' in uBoot you can see the disks but as soon as you boot the sheevawithlinux kernel the SATA link light on the drive box goes off.

If anyone is rolling their own kernel and wants more than one disk on either an ESATA or USB connection remember to enable 'multiple LUN' support in the SCSI section as well as SATA PM support.

I have bought a Startech S352U2RER dual drive USB/ESATA box and can see both disks via ESATA with the modified uBoot so I think the port multiplier functionality is good. I chose this box as it is one of the few that handles drives over 1TB, I have two 1.5TB disks in it and want to use it as two separate drives and handle backups from one to the other myself rather than use RAID.

I'm building a low power home server with bigger disks to replace my mini-ITX server so apart from speed I wanted to be able to run hdparm to spin the disks down without mucking about trying to do this on a different machine and have the disks save the settings. If the SD card wears out I can simply copy a backup image onto a new one. At some point I will extract 5V power from the disk box for the plug, I did think of putting the plug inside the disk but while there is plenty of room it would not be easy to make neat connections for the Ethernet and so on.

Sorry for a rather long first post.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:54:41 PM »

Does the esata port support port multiplication?

I'd like to echo this query.

I currently use a plug as a fileserver connected via USB to one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/EdgeStore-DAS400-Bay-USB-Enclosure/dp/B001H54JXQ, and it works very well...
However...if the eSATA port did support Port Multiplication, that would open up a whole new world of faster multi-bay enclosures.

Thats about 100.- for a plug with esata, another 100.- for a enclosure. What about directly heading for Qnap 219P? Integrated in one case, bigger (more silent) fan then the cheap enclosure. Same CPU, same amount of memory, an serial interface with a little bit of soldering. Able to install the debian on a plugged in USB stick (or the disks). two exte esata ports, two free (if one has the usb stick) usb ports. 300.-

I'm interessted in a setup without a fan, but i guess you can't have everything.

tangleboss2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 03:00:35 AM »

The box was 70 delivered from an Amazon supplier and they do a cheaper version which I think is the same but lacks the disk caddy arrangement. The fan has a on/off switch, not sure I would want it off in summer even with the disks spun down but it will live out of the way in a loft room anyway. I bought the Sheevaplug before I even realised it would be possible to add the ESATA connections partly as something to play with and partly to get some experience with ARM infrastructure for possible future (more commercial) projects. The decision to replace my home server came afterwards. If I just wanted a server then it's possible I wouldn't start from here Smiley

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 06:20:06 AM »

Cool!  Does the esata port support port multiplication?

No, it does not.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: