• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kernel building - monolithic or modular?  (Read 3074 times)
Blazer

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »

Which do you suggest? I normally like modular kernel but is there any advantage to monolithic in this case? I need uvcvideo support so that I can plug in a newer USB webcam which needs the uvcvideo and videodev modules.

Before I got distracted dealing with my uImage partition getting hosed, I tried compiling kernel source without much luck, but will try again this weekend.  If someone is already setup to compile kernels and can build me one with uvcvideo support, I would be very appreciative Smiley

moshiach
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »

I prefer a monolithic kernel myself.   The only times I would build something as a module is if it needs options at the time it loads (like I discovered with ftdi_sio to get the plug to talk to my main linux box.)  I know there's a technical discussion floating around on the web somewhere about which is better for embedded systems and if I'm not mistaken the conclusion is to put it in the kernel if you need it.  It's not like we are constrained by space here.  It's your root that's going to take up all the flash space.

But I guess it depends on your application.  If it's a driver that's only needed 1% of the time then it's probably better to make it a module and save the kernel memory.

So how's that for a wishy washy answer?

I don't use web cams myself, but I don't think uvcvideo needs options, so you could safely put that in the kernel.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: