• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twonkymedia Problems  (Read 5322 times)
madmike

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »

Hi, can someone please help. I have installed TwonkyMedia as per the Wiki instructions and can get the web interface up and running. However, when I then configure a share (mnt/films in this case which is a samba mounted share) it doesn't show up when I go to the MediaBrowser/Videos section of the web interface. I am running linux on an SD card and have tried setting APPDATA to both / and /dev/mmcblk0p2 is either correct or should it be set to /var/twonkymedia. At the moment it is set to /var/twonkmedia and the database related files are in there with some files with a current datestamp on and so I guess this must be correct (the wiki instructions are a little confusing here, it seems to imply that APPDATA should point to the root of the filesystem that is to house the database files). Anyway, the only error I am getting is in the logfile repeated over and over

16:39:27:419 views_add_or_update_object(*ppObject,pOldObject) failed
File: ../../../server/common/upnp_database_items.c
Function: upnp_database_item_add_or_update_impl1
Line: 209

Can anyone please help?

Many thanks,

Michael.

madmike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »

Update:

I tried uploading an image to the server and this was seen in the browse media section and I added a local test directory with an image in and that worked to; it looks like it is objecting to me sharing a mounted directory, but I don't know why.

:-(

madmike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:59 AM »

After struggling with this for days, I've sorted the problem. It was a combination of a bad APPDATA variable value (I think this could be better explained on the wiki page) mistimings of rebooted servers so that mounted drives had no contents and also the mediaserver not autstarting after a reboot.

This was compounded by the fact that it seems to take a while before the webpages are available after a the server starts.

I still don't know what the error message means, but it doesn't seem to be breaking the server unduly.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

I put the wiki page together (quickly I admit), feel free to update it/enhance it.

The problem is, everyones setup is different.   I won't advise having your database on ANY flash device (either NAND or SD) as it does write very regularly to it, as it keeps things like play histories and dynamic playlists.  It's really worth relocating the entire appdata directory to the same filesystem that shares your media (HDD) and setting the contentbase parameter, as most peoples problems occur because the mediaserver scanner is trying to scan non media files...

for example:   contentbase=/mnt/media

and then the web UI will show the top level directory as /mnt/media rather than /  It also means it's impossible to add silly stuff outside the media directory to the database...

Also, there is a blacklist of directories than the server scanner will igore:

Code:
/proc
/dev
/sys
/lost+found
/var/preserve
/var/cache
/var/db
/var/local
/var/tmp
/var/opt
/var/run
/var/nis
/var/lib
/var/spool
/var/games
/var/lock
/var/log
/var/yp
/usr/etc
/usr/share
/usr/lib
/usr/libexec
/usr/local/share
/bin
/etc
/lib
/sbin
/srv
/tmp
/boot
/opt
/Program files
/Windows
/I386
/Drivers
AppleDouble

Also watch out for following symlinks (which it does not do by default), to enable this, set followlinks=1

The INI file is UTF16 format, which can be hard to edit, as things like nano and pico don't do UTF16.  It's sometimes easier to set the configuration via the web interface.  Any variable in the INIfile can be set by using the following web RPC call:

http:\\<your-server-ip>:9000\rpc\set_option?<parameter_name>=<parameter_value>

For example:
http:\\<your-server-ip>:9000\rpc\set_option?contentbase=/mnt/media

To view the current value:

http:\\<your-server-ip>:9000\rpc\get_option?<parameter_name>

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »

Have done some major wiki updates to the page to bring it bang upto date, and include some handy tips for a troublefree install..

http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Run_TwonkyMedia_on_Sheevaplug

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »

This topic is old, but I just installed TwonkyMedia and used mgillespie's info for the most part. There were a couple of issues though. There is a newer version, TwonkyMedia_5.1.5 avalable now. Also the init script at File:Mediaserver.gz seems corrupt. Or at least I couldn't get it to open w/gunzip. I googled and found another twonky init script and used it instead. It didn't have the function to move the twonky db though so I manually moved /var/run/twonkeymedia from my SD card to an attached hdd, and left a sym-link in /var/run/ These mods seemed to work, OK. If there is anything I'm missing, please let me know.

thx,
feffer

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: