• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you still need to install the SheevaPlug Installer if you just bought a Plug?  (Read 2343 times)
begunfx

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »

Hi all.  New to the forum and fairly new to plug computing.  I just ordered a SheevaPlug, and have been
reading all the info on how to get started (both on the wiki and forum).  My question is:  Do you still
have to install the SheevaPlug Installer or does the plug now come with the latest installer included?

Any info is much appreciated.

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

Plug in, log in!

rickyleeb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:37:03 AM »

You will be able to use it from the moment you plug it in. You may want to use the installer to make sure you have the latest kernel and u-boot but thats a choice you will have to make based around what your plans for the plug is.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »

As mentioned, you don't have to.  However this is some big benefits from doing so.

1/ You get the latest kernels from sheeva-with-linux.
2/ It converts the plug to UBIFS, which boots significantly quicker.
3/ You can if you wish, install the root filesystem to SDCard if you wish.

drbob49

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:39:27 PM »

Hi,

I held off going down the Installer route for a couple of weeks - partly because I wanted to get the hang of the plug, u-boot etc and also because of the number of problems reported on in the installer thread.

Bit the bullet and installed Debian squeeze (thanks to mgillespie) on both the nand and an SD card.  Both went very easily, and now the plug can multiboot either.  Both now boot very cleanly and quickly.

I did the installs from a linux environment with two terminals open, one running cu -s 115200 -l /dev/ttyUSB0
talking to the plug and the other running the install script.  Before the install I did an apt-get install ftdi php5-cli.  With two terminals it was possible to monitor what was going on all the time - which thankfully was error free and didn't produce any of the problems reported in the thread.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: