• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ethernet port not working  (Read 1988 times)
paketecuento

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »

Hi,

Today I start to use my new sheeva. After playing a bit, I notice that no led were blinking in the gigabit port. No mater the cable I use, no matter the switch or router I use, there is no way to use the ethernet port!!! Perhaps, a hardware failure?Huh

Serial is fine, and also I could upgrade using installer v1 (now I have UBIFS and last kernel), but still unable to use ethernet port..

any idea???

[UPDATE]: This morning, after all the night unpluged, it started working for a minute or so, then suddenly the leds switched off again, and no network!!!  ;(. Plug and unplug power cable or ethernet cable doesn't take effect...

[UPDATE2]: looks like the problem is the port is not well soldered/installed. If I forced the port a bit down, the link is up and detected.... ;( If left alone, the link is down...

root@ubuntu:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP AUI BNC MII FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: external
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Link detected: no

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:25:33 AM by paketecuento » Logged

akula169

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »

I'm having similar problems - although wiggling the connector doesn't seem to make much difference.

I usually have to unplug the connector and re-connect to get the lights to come on again.

Makes me wonder if its more electrical (short?) than a physical (weak solder joint) connection problem.

I have it working as a wonderful VPN solution and don't want to RMA it if I don't have to - I'd miss it while it was gone Wink

paketecuento

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »

I'm having similar problems - although wiggling the connector doesn't seem to make much difference.

I usually have to unplug the connector and re-connect to get the lights to come on again.

Makes me wonder if its more electrical (short?) than a physical (weak solder joint) connection problem.

I have it working as a wonderful VPN solution and don't want to RMA it if I don't have to - I'd miss it while it was gone Wink

mi solution is press down the ethernet cable and force the RJ45 port. If I release it, the connection goes down again.
Actually it's very unstable, because I have to insert a pin to force the ethernet cable ;(

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: