• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NOW is the time for a bug reporting system  (Read 807 times)
superpat

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »

Hi

As Sheeva plug computer sales rise and rise, it is becoming patently obvious that the number of purchasers / developers suffering  software, mainly firmware problems is also growing.

It is not clear to me, who, (if anyone),  has the responsibility for maintaining  Sheeva plug and Marvell specific software or patches.

It is obvious that the Sheevaplug U-boot firmware is  suffering from several major and persistent faults.

Take a couple of minutes and Google around, you will find many complaints about very similar problems.

Every time someone posts a topic  or this forum with a U-boot problem,  a number of other SheevaPlug users or Marvell staff kindly jump in and offer advice.

Next day, another new topic is  started with the same problem!  Just read through the U-boot forum!

THIS IS NOT THE WAY to control this situation, shortly it will overwhelm the good natured helpers.   Also people bought this dev kit to develop their applications, not to have to use their resources  to debug and repair the internal firmware.

What is needed is:-

1.  A Sheevaplug bugzilla reporting system, that should be used to log and report all firmware and software problems

2.  A proper response by Marvell and Globalscale to provide timely resource to analyse, (severity level),  clear (fix) problems and keep the bug list CURRENT.

A public bugzilla will save a huge amount of repeated effort on the part of the dedicated volunteers on this forum.

If this is not done, then the extra sales generated by the PR effort recently may be in fact counterproductive for Marvell, as the number of dissatisfied  users rise.  Make no mistake, there are people out there who not happy bunnies at this time.

YMMV 

regards

Patrick

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »

Hi Patrick,

I agree that the number of re-occuring problems is annoying. But the reason we didn't take any action item is because the the Sheevaplug is intended for developers; and firmware / kernel problems are expected !

If it was an end product for any user then I agree with you that a bugzilla is a must.

I will bring this back to the team and discuss it.

Regards,
Rabeeh

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: