• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Booting the sheevaplug firmware in Qemu  (Read 4971 times)
caseih

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

For a variety of reasons, it would be helpful if I could get the same firmware that's being used by the SheevaPlug (currently U-Boot and Ubuntu 9.0x) to boot up in qemu on my linux machine.  Qemu emulates all the hardware that the plug has, with maybe the exception of the ethernet interface, but a custom kernel would fix that.

Here's what I've done so far:

qemu-system-arm -mtdblock ubuntu-9.0.5.Release.jffs2 -pflash u-boot-rd88f6281Sheevaplug_400db_nand.bin -cpu arm926 -net user -net nic -m 512 -kernel uImage.sheeva.040309

All of these files are in the various downloads from either Marvell or GlobalScale.  I'm not sure if I'm using the right u-boot image, nor am I sure if specifying it as pflash is the correct way to do it.  Basically I get a black screen with nothing on it.

Has anyone done this yet?  For those still waiting to get their device, qemu may let them play with things and try building software.  For me it lets me play around with things before I commit them to my plug.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »

The U-boot you are using its built specifically for the plug. Qemu doesn't emulate the hardware nor the configuration of that hardware available on the sheevaplug. In other words, Qemu emulates a specific machine(versatible board iirc), therefore you need stuff(kernel and boot loader) compiled/configured for that device.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »

But still, you can boot a versatile zImage and develop your own application under qemu and then try it out on the plug (using exact root filesystem).
However I found that running on the plug is way faster than any qemu on the strongest x86 machine you can get.

edwardmiller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »

So has anyone come up with a way to develop for this without the actual hardware?  Is there a guide somewhere or a Ubuntu distro that has the same installed packages?  (Or a list of what's on the default system?)

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:35:42 AM »

I haven't heard of any one working on getting sheevaplug board emulation in qemu.
But you can still defintely boot Versatile under Qemu and can get most of the stuff done under it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: