• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SD Card Newbie Questions.  (Read 1449 times)
plugcrazy

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »

After installing a bunch of stuff on my Plug, I just got about 200megs left. Need to get an SD card and mount it on the plug.

Question(s)
1. Which SD card to use? Can I use a high-density SD card?
2. What is the max SD Card size can the plug support?
3. I want to use the SD card instead of a USB-drive to be used for caching data, can I?
4. How to mount different types of sd cards?
    - All memory cards here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_card#Overview_of_all_memory_card_types
    - List of SD Card types from the above link:
    - Secure Digital (SD Card), Secure Digital High-Speed, Secure Digital Plus/Xtra/etc (SD with USB connector)
       * miniSD Card
       * microSD Card (aka Transflash, T-Flash)
       * SDHC

I know these are probably elsewhere in the forums, searching for them too.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
PC

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »

Yes, you can run SDHC cards, I haven't seen them over 32gb, they start getting very pricey above 16gb, but you can get them in 32gb. Make sure you get Class 6 rather than Class 4.. There are also some called "Extreme III", I believe those are above even class 6 in speed, but it's one particular brand's trademark.
You can put the OS on the SDHC as the main drive, or you can span the main drive onto the SDHC.. I'd just leave the main drive unused as a modern SDHC card is going to run circles around it, and if you were to wear it out, it's easy to replace.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »

I believe that the maximum *possible* in SDHC is 32GB (and I have one!) by the spec.

There may of course be another spec that allows more memory amd the cards may look the same, but I don't think it will be called "SDHC".

Rgds

Damon

PS. Edited to make sense!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:46:27 PM by DamonHD » Logged

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »

I believe that the maximum *possible* in SDHC is 32BB (and I have one!) by the spec.

There may of course be another spec that allows more memory amd the cards may look the same, but I don't think it will be called "SDHC".

Rgds

Damon

How many TB is 1 BB?  Huh Undecided Wink

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »

Fixed: sorry about that!

Rgds

Damon

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: