• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2.6.32.2 new release  (Read 4242 times)
cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »

2.6.32.2 is now available. 2.6.31.9 is also available in case .32 exhibits any problems.

Kernel and modules are available from the following location:

http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

Features IPV6, CIFS, NFS4, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS, FUSE(for ntfs-3g), UBIFS, usb-serial, uvcvideo, iptables, appletalk, bluetooth, v4l and ppp.

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

Thanks!
What are the improvements over 2.6.32.1? Any way to track the changes?

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:01:57 AM »

Thanks!
What are the improvements over 2.6.32.1? Any way to track the changes?

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.32.2

No config changes have been made between .1 and .2.  I mention configuration changes between releases in the original post.

DaylanDarby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

I've already migrated to a hard drive.  Do you think it is safe to grab the pieces and put them in the appropriate spots on the harddrive (instead of how they are loaded in nand flash in the scripts)?    Is there an existing location setup to do this so I can get apt-get it?

Thanks,

dd

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »

I've already migrated to a hard drive.  Do you think it is safe to grab the pieces and put them in the appropriate spots on the harddrive (instead of how they are loaded in nand flash in the scripts)?

The README script has a "--rootkernel" option to write the uImage to /boot.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

Ok, I'm back with a new question.. Smiley In the readme script:
Code:
# Due to changes in vm security a change must be made in /etc/sysctl.d/10-process-security.conf.
# vm.mmap_min_addr should be set to 32768 (This change is safe for any kernel version).
# If this is not done it is likely that you will not be able to login remotely.
I'm running Debian Lenny on an SD card.. /etc/sysctl.d is an empty directory.. Do I need to make this change somewhere else, create this file with that in it, or is it something I don't need to worry about at all? Smiley Thanks.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »

I'm running Debian Lenny on an SD card.. /etc/sysctl.d is an empty directory.. Do I need to make this change somewhere else, create this file with that in it, or is it something I don't need to worry about at all? Smiley Thanks.

If you don't have the file in the sysctl.d directory you shouldn't worry about it.  The kernel has the appropriate default.  It was really a matter of the file in sysctl.d overriding the setting.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »

Flashed it. Changed the uboot variables as directed, tried to boot, it made it to starting kernel and locked up. I tried some variations of the commands.. Like my rootfs isn't jffs2, so I set it to ext2, didn't help. I removed the command completely, since I didn't have it before. Didn't help. Decided I should start over, so I entered resetenv.. Now everything seems hosed, those aren't anything like the "factory defaults" I expected it to have.  Cry I'm so lost.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »

I also seem to get a Nand ECC error everytime I boot now. Runs through 10 minutes of diagnostics and wipes out all of the attempts I had made at fixing the disaster..

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »

Ok.. I've recovered, at least most of the way.. rootfs did need to be ext2 for me. I took the downtime as a good time to go ahead and update uboot, so I have .27 now instead of .16 on there. It still seemed to loose my variables even if I put saveenv after each change. When I'd reboot, they all seemed to still get lost, though I was spared the 10 minute diagnostics once I updated uboot. So I have my doubts that it'll auto-boot the next time I reboot/lose power.. We'll see, I guess. Sorry for cluttering up your thread, I do appreciate you providing these kernels. I'm sorry for my newb'ness.. Smiley

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:33:27 PM »

FWIW, I just tried upgrading to the 2.6.32 kernel.  I had previously been running on a .31 kernel.  Apparently the .32 line (at least .32.2) does not have kernel support for NFS, which is a showstopper for me:
Code:
* Starting NFS common utilities                                          [ OK ]
* Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel.
(Or am I missing something obvious here?)

In any event, thanks for providing 2.6.31.9, which is running in my plug now.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:55:51 PM by restamp » Logged

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:58:16 AM »

FWIW, I just tried upgrading to the 2.6.32 kernel.  I had previously been running on a .31 kernel.  Apparently the .32 line (at least .32.2) does not have kernel support for NFS, which is a showstopper for me:
Code:
* Starting NFS common utilities                                          [ OK ]
* Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel.
(Or am I missing something obvious here?)

In any event, thanks for providing 2.6.31.9, which is running in my plug now.

YMMV.

I just configured an nsf4 server setup on my plug with 2.6.32.2.  Seems to work fine.

I'd have to wonder if your nfsd module was getting loaded in, or before, nfs-common runs.  Not sure why your config would work with .31.9 and not with .32.2.  With regard to nfs, the .32.2 is configured the same way .31.9 is.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: