• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do I install and configure Transmission  (Read 4615 times)
mail4asim

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:46:28 AM »

Is there a how-to showing how two install and configure Transmission (bittorrent) on Sheeva Plug (Ubuntu) ?

I was able to install transmission demon but I am unable to make any changes to the settings file. It keeps overwriting it as soon as I restart the demon.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »

did you try searching the forums? I recall lots of people having success on that (Gentoo maybe and probably UBuntu too).

star_trekguy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »

I had that same problem. I found that you have to shut down the transmission deamon before you edit the config. When you start it back up, your settings should be kept.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »

Thank you !!!!  That did it. I could have swore that I had shutdown the daemon last night and changed the setting file but it kept getting overwritten when I restarted it.  Oh well.. glad that it's working now.  Cool

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 02:41:53 AM »

Now I have another issue. My external USB drive needs some permissions corrected. Transmission can't seem to download files to it. ughhh!!!
How can I run transmission daemon as root ?

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:04:22 AM »

Found it. Had to changed /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon to run as root.
Changed the line in there as
USER=root

I am sure I could also change the permissions on the USB share to allow the Transmission user to have write prev. Which do you think is the better way ?

Sorry about the rambling, I thought it would be good to document this so others may benefit.

star_trekguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »

I had that same problem also. I also changed Transmission to run as root.

I did try to change the permissions and owner of the folder i was writing to, and it didn't work. I'm not quite sure why.

It runs fine now as root, so I'll just keep it that way.

gman86

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

I had that same problem also. I also changed Transmission to run as root.

I did try to change the permissions and owner of the folder i was writing to, and it didn't work. I'm not quite sure why.

It runs fine now as root, so I'll just keep it that way.

Funny enough i had the similar problem with my external ntfs drive.
External file systems when mounted can only be written by too by their owner (root usually)
Any way i was able to mount as root and write to the file system using mount device mount-point but i was unable to write as the user transmission
It turned out i needed to mount my external hd with fstab i needed to specify the mount type as ntfs-3g
eg
Code:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /media/harddrive

I recommend that you use fstab to mount external hard drives that you connect to the plug frequently  Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: