• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Booting from SD card  (Read 1633 times)
akc42

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »

I have setup an sd card with Debian (squeeze) as per the instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html .  This all works fine, and I have now a good working system which I have just installed as my home gateway.

However - the boot sequence is loading images /uImage and /uInitrd from the first partition of the card. (as per instructions)

In Debian, the kernel (latest version) is kept in the this first partition (mounted as /boot ) with symlinks "vmlinuz" and "Initrd.img" pointing to the actual files.  As far as I can see (from dates on the files) there is no attempt to update uImage and uInitrd.

So the question is - should I update the booting environment to load vmlinuz and Initrd.img instead of the uImage and uInitrd - and if I do, will uboot be able to cope with the symlink?

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 06:59:13 AM »

No, don't mess around with this since u-boot cannot boot the vmlinuz and Initrd.img files directly.  the u* files are generated automatically by flash-kernel when the kernel is updated.  If you think that it hasn't been updated, run flash-kernel by hand.

akc42

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »

No, don't mess around with this since u-boot cannot boot the vmlinuz and Initrd.img files directly.  the u* files are generated automatically by flash-kernel when the kernel is updated.  If you think that it hasn't been updated, run flash-kernel by hand.

Strange - when I posted my message, uImage and uInitrd had file modification times before those of vmlinuz and Initrd.img files.  I have just checked again, and now they are a few seconds after.

But thanks for the heads up - I know now that its being taken care of.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: